3333

How to Pick a Niche 
How I Pick a Niche

The biggest time waste of getting started is knowing what niche to pick. When I started I used a very simple method of picking my first niche, I had a project I needed traffic for.

I started learning SEO because I already had a business / website. Dating niche. It all started from that point. I had to learn to analyze competition, do on page, and build backlinks.

After that project I was interested in SEO. So I tested on random web 2.0s. I bought some micro niche sites and tested.

I had very little to do in terms of picking my niches. I never really picked my niche for the first few years of IM.

By time I got serious and wanted a new large project I looked for the best domain I could find. I sought out domain auction sites to find the strongest and healthiest domains I could afford.

I avoided some niches such as tech, dating or a highly specialized field linke medicine. I knew I wouldnt be a good fit in those niches.

I know I got a couple incredible branded domains from a former seller on BHW, Howard Hughes. The domains had a few decent links but metrics were non existant. But the branded names were incredible.

None of the sites I bought were profitable off the bat. But it got me into niches.

Since most of these sellers are gone, there are a few new sellers that offer premium or expired domains. I know looking at their lists you can find great domains with strong metrics.

The only niche I selected myself is my most recent large project. It is a niche I am passionate about. A Niche I always wanted to be in, and knew a lot about. I waited until I knew enough about IM and SEO to be able rank high comp terms in a hard niche.

To recap:

1. I bought websites which already had a niche.

2. I found the best domain I could find and stuck with the niche.

3. I started a passion project.

I found that when I started I got lost in the Niche selection process. You can find decent keywords in any niche. To get out of my analysis paralysis I tossed a little money out.

My SEO testing were done on test sites with keywords of very high competition from my first niche. Dating.

My advice is to pick something you are passionate about or find the best domain possible and start in that niche.

How to Analyze Competition

My competition analysis all starts with knowing competition levels. Lets start with what I posted in my "How to Rank" thread in the BH SEO section.

Super Easy: Top 10 Results have no On - Page Optimization for the KW and are not strong domains.

Easy: Top 10 have a couple On - Page Optimization for the KW but they are not authority sites.

Relatively Easy: Top ten are all Optimized for the KW but no authority sites.

Medium: Top 10 has full On - Page Optimization and a couple (Maximum) Authority Sites.

Hard: Top 10 has more than three Authority Sites Optimized or three sites with an excellent backlink profile.

Very Hard: Top Ten has Six or More Authority / Strong Backlink Profile Domains.


This is general and years old. But it applies. Throw your keyword or niche into google, and see what you get.

I do have a few analysis tricks that serve me well. When trying to rank or doing back link analysis you will find things that do not make sense.

Most commonly it is in competition analysis. Commonly this is when you find a couple niche sites with a weak backlink profile in top ten ranking among some authority sites / large niche sites with a great back link profile.

I run the top ten through Ahrefs, Moz and Majestic to get the backlink profile.

When I find a site or sites that do not belong, I look at page two and three of google.

This is where things get interesting. If I find sites that have any of the following superior to the niche sites in top ten, I know something is up.

1. More very strong links.

I look for guest posts, authority site mentions, and an over all superior link profile.

2. Vastly superior content.

I look for better on page, at least 500 words longer, and more images with proper optimization.

3. Vastly stronger domain.

I look for a better root domain, with stronger internal linking.

If the pages look better, I know one of two things. Page one is using hidden links (PBN) or what I call Rank Suppression.

Rank Suppression was once my catch all term for when something should rank and doesnt. Now I use the term for pages or sites that are not ranking or should.

When I look into the sites on page two or lower I tend to find a few issues which cause supression.

1. Number one is insufficient links.
2. Poor CTR - Click through rate.
3. High bounce rate.
4. Bad meta description.
5. Missing niche links.

Number one means you need better links. Page one most likely has PBN links. I tend to avoid these niches.

2, 3 and 4 are all fixable. 5 is fixable as well. I tend to find that when I fix 2, 3 and 4 I rank or I know I am missing something. It most likely would be PBN links, but can be common links between page one.

Some niches have large authority sites that you need a link from to rank I dont know exactly why. I assume it is google trust.

I have seen these be specific niche directories, brand mentions from a large site, or even links as unique as practice review sites for doctor offices.

I find the links most of page one has and page two doesnt. The site then starts to move when those links are built.

Other signs of suppression are huge sites in page two or three. Like youtube, forbes, wikipedia, etc. These sites are missing a trust factor in googles eyes it doesnt have when Rank Suppression is occurring.

The rest of website analysis is basic. On page audit, and back link analysis using the big three tools. I always suggest all three as even using the free versions, you can discover a good amount. Other paid options like semrush can be superior.

How to Pick Keywords

I spent a lot of time with website analysis. That is how I do keyword research.

I tend to buy big keywords from sellers on BHW when I get stuck. But my Keyword selection always starts with competition scraping.

I typically use SEMrush. I put all the niche sites in my niche into SEMrush and then check the competition of each term.

This can be outsourced on fiverr for cheap.

After I scrape a website I look for pages that are ranking for a term that it is not optimized for. I then check SERPs and see if any sites have strong links.

If the sites are not optimized and few links, I know I have a golden keyword.

These are normally low search volume, but I dont care. I look for related keywords, long tails and LSI terms. I then write an article about all of the related keywords.

I firmly believe in leveraging the work of other SEOs to find good keywords.

Most people use KW research tools and that works for new niches or when you do not have competition to learn from. I just find it far easier using what others have done.

Putting My Process Together

I cheat when looking for a niche. I find the best domain possible and start at that point.

My competition is first about the basics. Then, if something doesnt make sense, I look for what ranking sites have in common. Things like backlink profiles and anchor ratios.

When something doesnt make sense, I look for what is missing.

Using this information I build my backlinks.

Using the same sites I analyzed I scrape what keywords they rank for with the least effort. I then target those terms myself.

These three steps are also the easiest way ti be successful. Start with a strong domain, build the links the best ranking sites have, and use the keywords the top sites are ranking for with little effort.

0 comments Blogger 0 Facebook

Post a Comment

 
Blog your needs © 2013. All Rights Reserved. Share on Ads Network Reviews. Powered by Blogger
Top